Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

A Zion University Part III

 This is our third and final Cougar Friday focusing on a speech given by former BYU President Merrill J. Bateman.  I began my college career at a state university.  There were many things I liked, but something was definitely wrong.  Very shortly after entering my program, I realized, I would be required to compromise my LDS standards, if I wished to continue in my chosen major.  I knew I could get a good education at my state university, but how would my testimony be doing by the time I had my diploma?

Brigham Young University is unique in that it offers a world class education, yet throws the worldly out of the process.  I have worked in my field for almost 30 years and my memories of my education are clean and uncompromising.  BYU provided me with a great foundation to build upon.

President Bateman shared a person testimony moment, at the conclusion of his address, "A Zion University."

A Message to the Students
"May I paraphrase an earlier president of Brigham Young University: 'Our reason for being is to be a university.  But our reason for being a university is the students.'  For more than 120 years this campus has had a distinctive character.  Strangers who visit are struck by the cleanliness and orderliness of the buildings, the grounds, and especially the people. . . .It was so refreshing to return to this campus, to see the clean young people, and to feel the peace that prevails here.
May I share with you a flash of insight given me by the Spirit twenty years ago in which I learned about this university's major role in building the kingdom . 
. . . .I realized that 27,000 students were being prepared to enter the world.  Every year approximately 6,000 would leave Provo, scattering across North America with some going on to Europe, others to Asia, some to Africa, and a number to South America.  Some might even go Down Under.  If the university performed its roles well, deepening spiritual roots and providing a first-class education, in the course of time strong Church families would grow up in hundreds and thousands of communities all over the world.  These BYU families would be waiting when later missionaries arrived.  My earlier experiences in London, Boston, Colorado Springs, High Wycombe, Lancaster, Bedminster, Accra and Lagos had pointed to the importance of just one or two strong families to form a core around which the Lord could build a branch, then a district, and finally a stake.  The BYU families would be good neighbors; have strong relationships with business associates; and, if well-trained, be leaders in their communities.  These strong families, by example and invitation, would open doors for missionaries to enter. 
. . . .This institution will not fail.  As Daniel prophesied, the kingdom will not be left to other people.  Joseph's and Brigham's vision that the spiritual can be combined with the secular without the latter overcoming the former will prove true because of faith and priesthood power.  Brigham Young University will continue to be a light to the world, dispensing truth for the public good and for individual happiness." (Merrill J. Bateman. Learning in the Light of Truth. Deseret Book. 2005 pgs. 24-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment