Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Leadership of Self" (PART II) by Ardeth G. Kapp given on Oct 7, 2011, Provo, UT.



V.  WISE USE OF OUR TIME IS THE KEY.
 OUR TIME IS OUR LIFE.  Whatever we choose to do with our time we are paying for it with our life.
You are the one who must decide, not only what you will DO as a result of all your planning but more important what you want to have happen. Before you address the question, ‘What shall I do?’ it must always be preceded with the question, ‘What do I want to have happen?’  This provides vision, perspective, anticipation, AND PURPOSE.
 WE PLAN WITH PURPOSE, WE PRAY WITH PURPOSE, AND OUR LIFE HAS PURPOSE.
I believe the adversary would, if possible, keep us busily engaged in a multitude of even good things if we could be distracted from the few things that make all the difference. 
A basis for decision-making or planning has to be related to the things that we value most.  Goals can change but our PRINCIPLES and values remain constant.

FIXED PRINCIPLES PROVIDE FOR A SURE FOUNDATION WORTH LIVING FOR AND DYING FOR IF NECESSARY.
In the words of Joan of Arc, in the play Joan of Lorraine by Maxwell Anderson.  She says, “One life is all we have. We live it as we believe in living it, and then it is gone. But to surrender what you are and live without belief, that’s more terrible than dying. More terrible than dying young.”    
Quoting Elder Neil A. Anderson speaking at a campus devotional recently, “Honesty, integrity, and truth are eternal principles that shape our experience in mortality and help determine our eternal destiny.
“A principle is not like a rule. A rule asks nothing more than that you obey.  Principles are mingled with a sense of values.” 
“CHRIST CENTERED PRINCIPLES OF LEADERSHIP WILL BLESS INDIVIDUALS, FAMILIES, COMMUNITIES AND NATIONS.”
-‘Without fixed principles, and values  planted deep within,  the pressure of society can endanger our eternal destiny’
YW Value:  Integrity-making our actions consistent with our knowledge of right and wrong.
A day in history not to be forgotten was…
‘On Wednesday, May 22 1974, the Salt Lake Tribune carried an article about Jeb Stuart Magruder, who had been sentenced to serve in federal prison for his part in the Watergate scandal in Washington, D.C.  Magruder was quoted as saying, “It has been nearly impossible for me to face the disappointment I see in the eyes of my friends, the confusion I see in the eyes of my children, the heartbreak I see in the eyes of my wife and probably more difficult the contempt I see in the eyes of others.  My ambition obscured my judgment.  By now I know what I have done and Your Honor knows what I have done…”  Magruder told the judge, “Somewhere between my ambition and my ideals, I lost my ethical compass.”
We must have an inner court to which we can appeal for judgment of our actions.
Our greatest satisfaction in leadership must come from internal validation not from the praise of the crowd.
[Story:  Sister Kapp told a story where she became part of a group and she could either stay silent or speak her beliefs on an issue.  It took great courage but she chose to speak up and state what she felt was the right decision to make on that issue.  Afterwards, a man came up to her and told her, “You have courage but you lack judgment.”]  Yes I suffered but in time it was determined that my perception on that particular issue was validated.
We won’t be appearing in a federal court like Jeb Mugruder before Judge Sirica but we must find ourselves measuring our success by the standards of our inner court in  preparation to meet the final judge.  Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the Perfect leader who extended the call, ‘Come Follow Me.’
In the very moving and historic broadcast recently covering the sobering and tragic account of the 10 years since 9-11, I was touched by the words to the song sung by the choir:
“Bind me not to the pasture
Chain me not to the plow
Set me free to find my calling
And I’ll return to thee somehow.” (Homeward Bound. Words and music composed by Marta Keen).

No comments:

Post a Comment