Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Knowing what we don't know Part I

I don't mind working on puzzles.  I enjoy sorting the different pieces and finding relationships among them.  Sometimes, my favorite puzzles are made with words, not just cardboard.  While studying various materials to use with the students I teach, I came across a sentence that has kept my mind busy for some time:  "I don't know what I don't know, until I know what I don't know."  (The Red Road to Wellbriety , White Bison,  Colorado Springs, Co., 2002  pg.46).
 
 To be effective leaders, we need to have a plan or vision.  The puzzle in the sentence above is the same one we face when we are trying to create our own vision.  In the first clause of the sentence, the writer tells us that there is some type of problem facing us, the second clause tells us that we can't begin to solve that problem until we understand why we don't know how to solve the problem.  Lost?  Let's try looking at it through an example:

Joseph Smith was a 14 year old with a problem.  He wanted to please God, but didn't know how to go about it.  He knew that membership in a church could lead him to a better understanding about how to please God, but there were a lot of churches and a lot of doctrines to sort through.  Joseph understood he had a problem, and knew the only way to resolve the problem was to find out why it existed in the first place. In other words, he knew what he didn't know and he wanted to know why he didn't know it!

                                                                                               To be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment